Tuesday 25 February 2020

My first time in Italy

Since I was a child it was always one of my biggest dreams to go to Italy, and in the spring of 2019, it finally happened. At that time I've been learning Italian for two and a half years and this only gave me one more reason to be eager to visit the country I longed to see.

After a long train ride and taking our accommodation, we went on our way to explore. Among the city itself, we get to see Circus Maximus, Bocca della Veritá ("The Mouth of Truth"), the keyhole which shows you the biggest beauty in Rome and Tempio di Ercole Vincitore ("Temple of Hercules Victor").



If you think about Rome, the first thing that probably comes to your mind is the Colosseum. If you ever visit it (what I highly recommend) prepare, because there will be an enormous number of people wanting to do the same.


The second thing after the Colosseum is the Forum Romanum. Hours could be spent there just to walk around here and admire the beautiful remains of a bygone era. We spent two hours here, but there is so much more to it.



Vatican City is a beautiful, independent city-state within Rome. It is most well-known for the Vatican itself and being the center of the Catholic Church, also providing a living space for the pope. Vatican City is also famous for its great museum, which holds precious relics, like the Creation of Adam, painted by Michelangelo.


Ostia Antica is an archaeological site, which used to be a harbor city in ancient Rome. The city's name came from the word "os" which means mouth at Latin. Just like Forum Romanum, it is an outdoor place with much to explore.



Villa d'Este is a villa near to Rome and known for its fountains. It is listed as a UNESCO world heritage site. Nowadays it is functioning as a museum.



The place I found the most beautiful in Rome is the Quartiere Coppedé. Every building there is pure art, and even the smallest thing (like a doorbell) had been made with great care and talent.        



This one journey made me sure that as soon as I get the chance I'll come back to Italy. I did toss a coin to the Trevi Fountain, after all.



"Yes, I have finally arrived to this Capital of the World! I now see all the dreams of my youth coming to life... Only in Rome is it possible to understand Rome." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


2 comments:

  1. Wandering Dervish's Hölgy14 March 2024 at 18:40

    "Respectable Holgy, As I scrolled through the mesmerizing snapshots of your travels in Italy, I couldn't help but feel a sense of awe. Your presence in those ancient streets and majestic vistas seems to breathe new life into them, as if they come alive just for you. May your wanderlust never fade, and may every journey be as enriching and beautiful as the last."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wandering Dervish-s Holgy14 March 2024 at 19:01

    A story from Life's Unspoken Symphonies By Zubair on Medium
    Read this story from Life's Unspoken Symphonies By Zubair on Medium: https://medium.com/@mezubair/a-letter-to-luca-a-holgy-i-loved-and-lost-7b3ebf4434b0

    ReplyDelete